Conventional vs. Alternative Medicine
Modern medicine, also called conventional medicine, typically treats physical conditions with drugs (pharmaceutical medication), surgery, radiation and medical devices. As “scientific medicine” evolved over the centuries, traditional therapies based on more natural forms of healing became known as “alternative medicine.” Today, alternative medicine encompasses many different types of therapies with origins in a diverse range of cultures, including:
- Acupuncture – a Chinese method of treatment involving the use of thin needles inserted into the skin.
- Ayurvedic medicine – a medical therapy from India based on the balancing of energies within the body.
- Chinese medicine – developed over 5,000 years with a focus on the harmony of body elements.
- Herbal medicine – the use of plants (stem, roots, bark, leaves, flowers, seeds, etc.) for healing purposes. Found throughout a variety of cultures, including Egyptian, Chinese, Native American, Indian and African.
- Holistic Medicine – the treatment of a patient by addressing the “whole” person, including physical as well as spiritual and emotional imbalances.
- Naturopathy – Originating in Europe and based on the concept that a vital energy is responsible for various body processes.
- Homeopathy – a method of treatment that also adheres to the philosophy that illness is caused by a disruption of vital energy.
An alternative medicine practitioner will look for the underlying cause of an illness, and use natural remedies to correct the condition. This can include a change in diet to restore depleted nutrients, detoxifying the body to eliminate any barriers to healing, and the use of herbal medicine to repair organs and increase system functionality.
Alternative medicine has been used for centuries to successfully treat a variety of ailments. In more recent times, alternative health protocols have been used in the treatment of hypothyroid, hyperthyroid, arthritis, lupus, diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney stones, inflammatory bowl syndrome, gout, herpes, psoriasis and hepatitis.
Alternative Health and Wellness
Kwang Wellness Center is an alternative medicine clinic that provides patients with natural health and wellness remedies. Dr. Kwang is a skilled and dedicated medical practitioner who has spent years studying alternative therapies and researching the most effective methods of treating injuries and disease naturally. His healing program, which is tailored to each patient’s specific health needs, has helped individuals recover from many different types of physical conditions.
The center services clients throughout Southern California, including Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Glendale, Long Beach, Burbank, Torrance, Santa Ana, Rancho Santa Margarita, Long Beach, Irvine, Pasadena, Anaheim, Gardena, Monterey Park and Riverside, in addition to out-of-area residents. Contact us today for a free consultation.